Seven killed in major fire at clothing store in Maha

2 weeks ago 15

CHHATRAPATI SAMBHAJINAGAR: Seven members of a family reportedly died in a fire that engulfed a house in Dana Bazar area of


Cantonment in the city. The efforts were on to track down the eighth person, who was reportedly sleeping in the shop that caught fire.
The deceased have been identified as Hamida Begum (49), her two sons Waseem (29), Sohel (27), their wives Tanveer (25), Reshma (23) and their two kids aged about five years.

According to preliminary reports, the fire started from an electric bike plugged for charging, at around 3am on Wednesday, spread to a tailor's shop before engulfing the two floors situated above the shop, which is situated in the vicinity of Jain temple in the area.
On learning about the incident, police officers including deputy commissioner of police (zone-I) Nitin Bagate reached the incident site.

Before the rescue operation could be carried out by the locals, the fire brigade and the police, some members of the family had already died in the fire.
Sources maintained that the preliminary spot inspection by the fire brigade authorities suggest that suffocation resulting from the smoke and flames rising from the shop, made the victims unconscious, due to which they could not escape.
According to the call log recorded at the city police control room at 4am, an electric vehicle that was plugged for charging caught fire, which spread to the Aslam tailor's shop before engulfing the two-storeyed building situated above the tailor's shop.
The bodies have been moved to government medical college and hospital (GMCH).